PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 Still In Production After 60 Years.
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2017, 08:54
Acrosport II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Fella
Sorry Acrosport II, didn't mean to "hijack" your thread, just wanted to point out the venerable C130 has been around a long time in it's various forms. Probably the most versatile airlifter ever built. That said however the C172, as pointed out by onetrack, has changed little over it's lifetime. That it is still selling says plenty about it being acceptable to many over a very long period. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.
No worries Old Fella. Another Classic aircraft design.

Although considerably more C172s were built over the last 60 years, and considerably more PPLs / CPLs would have flown them.

I wonder if there is little change because it was a sturdy good design.
I see they are around $275000 USD new now.
The modern day composite (modern materials) Cirrus SR22 4 seater (bigger engine) is around $520,000 USD or so. Not surprising I don't see many of those flying around locally.

27/09
Please explain. What advancements could be made that haven't been made? What efficiency gains are you thinking of?

P.S. The PA28 is 57 this year and still in production as well.
Yes another 'Classic' only 3 years younger. I didn't know they were still making them. I cannot find their new price online, you have to 'inquire'.

Last edited by Acrosport II; 9th Mar 2017 at 10:07.