PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Citywing
Thread: Citywing
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2017, 21:36
Harry Wayfarers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
virginblue,

There was a video that I viewed on youtube some time back "stalled in the sky pilot error", it appears to have been removed now for copyright infringement, but it was an eye opener, I recognised the traits of many a cargo flight crew member that I previously worked with, and in this instance it resulted in a tragic loss of lives.

The programme was about a turboprop, I think a Q400, operating from, I think, Newark (EWR) on a late afternoon or evening departure.

Both pilots were based in EWR yet the Captain lived in Florida, he would commute but was too tight to pay for accommodation, he would occupy nights in the crew room whilst the first officer lived on the west coast, she wouldn't pay for commercial flights and occupied her pre-flight rest period jumpseating on freighters across the USA.

Both pilots were fatigued as a result of their greed and the CVR of that flight demonstrated just how many mistakes they were making as a result and ultimately they made wrong decisions that resulted in them stalling the aircraft killing all on board ... and all because they wouldn't pay for a hotel and/or a flight.

In the report of that ORK flight I read that the first officer had completed his LPC/OPC, I can't recall if he carried out the mandatory number of circuits and bumps, but he didn't undertake any mandatory line training or a final line check whilst the Captain of that flight was low houred whilst there had been a problem during his command upgrade training and he was, at the time of the crash and his death, only a recently upgraded Captain.

A recipe for disaster, a rookie Captain and a fatigued and untrained first officer deprived of rest periods and days off that, like the EWR incident, resulted in the death of some of us fare paying folk.

Do you defend such operating practices?