PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overseas airspace – how did I ever live?
Old 8th Mar 2017, 20:54
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Dick I have not flown in the US but here have under the old mandatory reporting system and obviously under the following procedures from stopping mandatory reporting to the introduction of alphabet airspaces etc etc

My understanding is you think we should adopt the US VFR airspace procedures (for VFR ops).

I understand that that the US and Oz systems have similar outcomes in terms of accident rates per hours flown so it probably is not a safety issue that should drive us (or is it?)

I suspect the advantages you see would be in terms of convenience and cost reduction?

I would be interested to know what you see as the advantages and how it would effect my day to day activities (good and bad)

I have an open mind to change (pretty helpful the way aviation procedures seem to change so regularly over the years with often not much impact... ) but am not interested in change for change sake or for minimal effect so you would have to sell me to the idea.

So...

1. How do the US procedures differ from the current Oz system (in broad terms - ie how would it change how I would practically operate under VFR in Oz).

2. What major advantages do you see in moving that way?