PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avalon Airshow 3-5 March 2017
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2017, 19:37
rjtjrt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Down and Welded
My 4th and last Avalon. Why? Because it's too much of the same (display-wise) and because it seems unable to attract even near-foreign display interest. In 2015 I think I recall even the Singaporeans flew. This year, not (at least on Friday). Both NZ and Canadian defence forces represented by C130 static displays. Even NZ?? Come on!

The F35s arrived, flew a couple of breaks, and landed. Lots of PA hype, but really, it was just another fast jet... with its cockpit canopy back-to-front. The Roulettes canned themselves due to a stiff breeze.

Uncle Sam's trusty Bone and KC135 were there as expected. The usual U.S. F16 did its usual routine with its excruciating, pre-recorded, media-wonk commentary. Most of the handling displays were the organiser's hardy perennials. Would love to have been surprised by something new. And who was really buying any GA light aircraft, corporate jets, or missiles? Was it at all worthwhile for the companies to have set them up? What meaningful business might have been transacted in those industry marquees? Any? Really? The Australian 'International' Airshow has become cringeworthy and provincial... a national embarrassment.

Is part of the problem that our organisers insist on calling it the Australian International Airshow? Might that bit of self-congratulatory knob-pulling actually put off some of the national forces in our region? There's nothing on the US airshow circuit that is labelled United States International Airshow. Paris is not called the French International Airshow. Farnborough is not presented as the UK International Airshow. Might Avalon be in the death-grip of an overly self-satisfied club of retired Air Marshals, industry sinecurists, and flying club life members? Does the whole thing need a total rethink? I think yes, and yes. For God's sake, yes!

Unless you're Ozbusdriver, there for the first time with a youngster who is going to be blown away by the noise and spectacle such as it is, it has become a bore. As for the High Flyer's Club... totally emblematic of the profiteering rip-off that this event has become.

Have no idea what I'm bitching about? Can't see what my problem is? Never seen a REAL, thrilling, entertaining airshow? You need to see Oshkosh, b'gosh! Until then, you're not on the same page as me.
Farnborough does call itself Farnborough International Airshow.
Farnborough International Airshow Trade 2016 - Welcome to the world?s greatest airshow

RAF Air Tattoo Fairford does as well
Royal Air Force Charitable Trust Enterprises - Home Page

Abbotsford Canada - yes they do as well.
https://www.abbotsfordairshow.com

Paris - another that calls itself International
https://www.siae.fr/en/