PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avalon Airshow 3-5 March 2017
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2017, 19:34
fl610

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
junior.VH-LFA I think you are missing the point. I totally agree with what Down and Welded has said. I think most would realise that we don't have the capacity or the numbers to run an event like Oshkosh, however as a teenager I went to several airshows at Amberly and they were spectacular, even my local aero club (Toowoomba) could put on an airshow which not only drew huge crowds, they were throughly enjoyed by everyone who attended. Of course I acknowledge that these were days prior to internet, cable TV, mobile phones and the countless other distractions that run peoples lives these days. The biggest difference being that there was absolute passion and enthusiasm displayed by everyone involved, before that was crushed by an overbearing regulator! When you have time take a look at the following link. Shock horror, not a fluro vest in sight! Doing dangerous stuff near crowds of people! At night! Nobody died, or even injured! Why???? Just a few of my observations: The Military as well as airlines and most organizations attracted and employed the best and the brightest people in our society, spent some money on training them to the highest possible standard which resulted in stuff like you will see in that link. Unfortunately this excluded a large number of people, so what happened next? We kept lowering the bar so that more and more could be included, resulting in quotas needing to be met etc. etc. Before you come back to me that I am racist, non inclusive, sexist or whatever is the current correct PC term to describe me, I grew up in a household with enlightened parents (of course not realised by me at the time) who treated both my sister and I equally and encouraged us to become the best that we could be. It was not until my sister obtained her first job doing research in a laborotory (she was much smarter than me as I only became an airline pilot) and I found out that she was paid less than her male colleagues for doing exactly the same job that I realised that not everyone is treated fairly or had the benefit of growing up as we did. (Yep, naive I know). Anyway my entire life I have believed in equal pay for equal work, equal rights for everyone no matter what race, colour, creed, gender, sexual orientation etc. However what I will never accept is equal pay for unequal work, such as many female tennis players claiming that they should be paid the same as the men? By all means when they start playing five sets instead of three, put the hand out for the extra cash, however if you then want to play the - well women aren't as strong as men, you are picking on me because I'm different etc. then I maintain that they just need to suck it up! Hope that you enjoy the video.

https://youtu.be/s0SN3tG4Atk

Last edited by fl610; 8th Mar 2017 at 23:03. Reason: To add ramblings!