PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2017, 12:48
avionimc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto feather not being used because of fleet standardisation...
If that comes out to be true, it shows the incompetence and lack of understanding of aircraft systems from the chief pilot and the DOO.

It is indeed no simple task to write and implement SOPs, even more so in a fleet with different types. SOP have to be thought through. Unfortunately, many such [small] aircraft operators have SOPs that make no sense whatsoever and often go against the AFM and, against common sense.

Still, this does not excuse the PIC. The AFM/POH always takes precedence over SOPs.

Besides, the use of autofeather in King Air is a no brainer, according to the B200 check-list, AFM/POH, it has to be armed before every takeoff and before every landing.

Here are some excerpts of The King Air Book by Tom Clements. Every King Air pilot should take the time to read it.
[p. 212] A U T O F E A T H E R – W H A T A G R E A T S Y S T E M!
... the Autofeather system has become more prevalent and has proven itself to be trouble free, more and more pilots are realizing that this is a system that virtually cannot be over-used. I understand that a number of pilots are flying with the autofeather switch armed at all times. In my view, that is totally fine. However, my personal preference is to turn autofeather off in cruise when I am at an altitude that gives me plenty of time to analyze and troubleshoot any engine malfunction that may occur. On 90% or more of my flights, I leave the Autofeather switch Armed on the ground, during takeoff and climb, and during descent and landing. But during cruise, I usually turn the switch off for two very flimsy reasons. First, I like having a blank annunciator panel at this time. No big deal, I know, to have two green lights glowing, but I prefer the panel to be dark. Second, I know that I have lots and lots of time, at this high altitude, to think through a suspected loss of engine power and to make my own decision about whether I think immediate feathering is the best course of action. Just in case I decide to allow the propeller to windmill – perhaps to try for a windmilling airstart after I get down in thicker air below FL200 – I now have that option.