PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has EK been the worst decision ever?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2017, 10:13
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NS

By a factor of ten? You don't need to justify the move for our sake, just your own. As I said, I'm happy for you and glad it's working.

Captain Chipotle

Jaded? Not at all. I'm not the defender of all EK by a long mark but try to keep it real. What I do find jaded is the constant negativity by certain individuals who, several years later, are still here. If they're really that unhappy, why stay? As for my 'long list of previous ****ty airlines', there were two, both of which were anything but ****ty. And what's your point? Do we not try to better ourselves in our careers and move on or is the idea to start at the best and work backwards? Your post would imply so. 15 years ago, EK was very different regarding work schedules than now, but that can be said of the vast majority of other airlines too. Not for one minute do I think any Delta pilot is enjoying a package nowadays that is superior to his former colleagues 30 years ago. The question would be whether, if we could turn back the clock, how many of us would apply to EK again. I'm sure many would say no but there are still a large number where life has worked well for them here. It is my experience that overall, the guys from the US have been the most unsettled which is probably why we're seeing so many return. And why not. Union protection, less flying hours, guaranteed upgrades with no convoluted upgrade process to follow, happy wives near family and best of all, back home in the good ol' US of A. If that works for you and it's the long term goal, great.

As for the ALT argument, you could argue that regardless of what's happening in the cabin, as long as my salary is paid and my terms and conditions are good, I couldn't care less. Right? Well, that's where EK was 15 years ago and now look at us. Arrogance and complacency has resulted in this current debacle and it's going to be a few years before we recover. It has to, because it's simply unsustainable currently. My point was that if Delta don't up their game, the public will vote with their feet. Isn't that happening to us with Qatar and the unmentionables? Is Delta not also in the fight with 2 big other majors as well as numerous low costs that are offering far better service in the main cabin. When you pay $2400 for a four hour flight, you do expect a little more than coffee. Next time it will be Jet Blue without a doubt.

Tineetim

How perceptive. That's just the point, I was expecting fillet mignon but got ****e. When will you be leaving anyway, or are you too stuck here slaving out a meagre living?

Keepitreal

I agree, although at least we can leave here with the provident fund in our hands and not in the hands of the CEO's golden handshake packages and spent re branding and painting 400 aircraft like Delta. There can be very few pilots in this airline who find the current schedules easy, apart from a few exceptions maybe on the 380. Boeing is undoubtedly harder with hours and combined night turns and ULR but colleagues on the 380 are also suffering effects of constant ULR's with 48 hr layovers and East West variations. This is why it's got to change. And also why pilots are leaving and hardly anybody is applying!

Harry

Last edited by harry the cod; 8th Mar 2017 at 11:16.