PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2017, 22:05
gazumped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MickG0105

We appear to have read an entirely different report, I was however mistaken about my assertion about the gear not being retracted. I apologise unreservedly for that.

The last time I read this report was approx 35 years ago, however I used it extensively as a trading aid, as we were operating B200's at that time, and I was C&T on type.

Fact a/c took off on 25
Fact a/c impacted 34 rock wall, as best I can recall, approx hdg 130, that turn was accomplished as a largely flat skidding turn as observed by ATC

Talk to ATC what they do when an a/c declares a Mayday, it may surprise you to learn that lots of qualified people pick up binoculars and watch intently. What they see, and subsequently give evidence about revealed a lot of what happened to this a/c. ATC observed the aircraft flying on approx reciprocal heading of 34, at a very low level, the pilot was granted approval to use any runway, he chose 34, he flew towards the threshold. The impact damage and trajectory was consistent with a sudden VMC, indications that the pilot pulled up to avoid the 6 metre rock wall. When on an approx parallel downwind heading the pilot chose to fly towards the rock wall, even though the flight path since EFATO had been downhill. I ask you a question MickG0105, "how was he intending to climb to clear the rock wall?"

ATSB were absolutely confounded as to how the left engine appeared to have suffered damage at impact consistent with it operating at stabilised idle. The conclusion was that the engine 'auto-ignited' after all water was exhausted by the windmilling engine.

The company were complicit in this accident, reduced power T/off's per see are not necessarily a bad thing, but the misunderstanding that in the event of an EFATO all bets are off. The auto feather not being used because of fleet standardisation.

The bottom line, this aircraft was capable of climb OEI if flown competently, in spite of high density altitude, and slight over gross.

My role as C&T on type was to ensure none of my crew bought the farm, I unashamedly used this report to,
1) highlight about just how well the B200 really climbs OEI, as discussed in excruciating detail in this report.
2) emphasise that EFATO drills in a timely manner will save your life.

Cheers Gazumped