PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 Spin Safety
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2017, 21:47
flyingkiwi73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've spun a C152 and a Pa38 and the C152 is a pussy cat which will recover from a spin by itself (if trimmed full aft it may pitch up and stall/spin again otherwise it will come out of the spin and become a spiral dive)

The PA38 no,.. you need to use proper spin recovery. (and don't look at the tail) entry is quite sporty!!!!

C172 spins I would imagine are the same, just a bit heavier! take a look out either side window... those things a struts!!!! and that is a lot of strength!!!.

Just remember spins are nothing to be afraid of as long as you use proper recovery. DO NOT pick a wing up using aileron, this will make it worse :-) use the rudder and use the now increasing speed to return to level flight then you can start picking up the wing if your wing low either side.

Some aircraft will go flat in the spin if power is applied but you need to read the POH and talk to your instructor about that, I don't think power on in a spin is an issue in C172

So after saying all that... I had an issue with the wingdrop stall in a PA38 during my flight training. I had a bad day once and ended up snapped onto my back and completing a loop to return to level upright flight.

I persevered (you had to demonstrate this in the flight exam) by breathing and briefing what was going to happen in my mind... don't let people rush you, breath, become clam, talk through even allowed what's going to happen and what the recovery is. Your going to initiated the spin so you know what pop rudder will be. you know the wings are going to stay just where they are. once you do a few they become quite fun! and you'll be really proud of yourself.

And last but not least...why spin? if you don't like it there is no legal requirement (in NZ anyway) to demonstrate spin recovery. learn how not to get into one (low speed full control deflection high angle of attack, like a REALLY poor turn to final) and you'll be fine!

FK73