PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reports of excessive and unreasonable CASA actions
Old 22nd Aug 2003, 05:39
BrianG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reports of excessive and unreasonable CASA actions

I have just read Paul Phelan's article in the Sept/Oct 2003 edition of Australian Flying. Whilst it is not unusual for Paul to take an often well deserved swipe at CASA, what Paul has reported concerns me. If I assume that Paul has fairly summarised the facts/outcomes of three Court proceedings involving CASA - and I have no reason to believe he hasn't - CASA's conduct, at least in the instances Paul has cited, was unreasonable and grossly improper.

It also irks me that a CASA lawyer was reported as acting improperly - I would be interested to know what the Court considered to have been improper conduct. Has that lawyer been reported to the relevant law society or bar association that issued his/her practising certificate? Despite what some might think of the legal profession, there is a line a lawyer must not cross - a lawyer's duty to the court must prevail over a conflisting duty to a client/employer.

I would be interested to hear what Creampuff or other aviation lawyers have to say. This issue concerns me a great deal. Kind of makes me want to give up flying and take up something like motorsport, despite that sport's greater risks.