PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Visibility Operations in Biz-jets
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2017, 20:05
GlobalNav

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by noneya
In the Gulfstream world, Gulfstream does not even offer CAT II on the G650. It is certified as a CAT I aircraft only. Unlike the previous Gulfstreams that were capable and certified CAT II.

When we were building our G650ER out, I asked why. Their answer was....

1. There was not enough operators wanting CAT II as an option, and even less actually maintaining crew proficiency, and aircraft CAT II maintenance status (they said something like 2 operators in the US maintained it on their G450/550). So for Gulfstream the certification cost of CAT II were not recoupable, so they opted out of making it an option.

2. And the bigger reason... Gulfstream has been one of the OEM's pushing the FAA to allow CAT III operations using EVS and HUD II. - So in the near future this will be a "Limited" reality for us.

I am sure the tread will spin, to how CAT III with EVS/HUD II is great or unsafe but I am telling you what I was told, and what direction we are seeing in regards to regulations.

my 2 cents
J
I agree with your post, but respectfully not point number two. Indeed, Gulfstream does seek low visibility approaches and landings with EFVS, but they are not exactly Cat III operations. Rather, the EFVS enables the pilot to meet the requirements for descent and operation below Cat I DA/H, by providing the required "enhanced flight visibility" and view of required visual references. The reported visibility, I think per the intent of your point, may well be less than Category I, maybe even less than Category II. However it is difficult in most IMC conditions to achieve 2,400 ft of enhanced flight visibility when natural visibility is below 1,200 ft.