PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 Spin Safety
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2017, 18:18
ASweetOldMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C172 Spin Safety

Hello,

I am having a lot of trouble trusting airplanes. I used to have problems trusting instructors too, but my current instructor is very capable and has been super patient with me while I try to get back in the air again. The airplane is spin certified, and the back seats have even been taken out to help shift the CG forward. The instructor is good with spins and teaches them to other trainee instructors, so I'm not concerned about the piloting aspect.

My main concern is that even with everything done correctly, and a thorough preflight, the wings will still fold up during recovery. Even steep turns make me uncomfortable because I can't stop thinking that something is going to go wrong. The instructor is in no way pushing me to spin, it's entirely something I am wanting to do because I think it is a big step towards getting myself comfortable with flying again.

I am trying to master each situation that I could find myself in regardless of how the situation occurs, so I've gone through the basics a bunch, and I'm intending to go through x-control stalls and other different combinations of inputs to make sure I can recognize and recover from any bad control inputs or situations. Spins are one of those major things that I can't stop stressing about when I'm in the pattern and such (I don't mean just being aware of them, I mean I am legitimately constantly expecting the worst to happen).

My concern with flying is very illogical, and that bothers me a lot. I know that there's no reason to be concerned in a lot of these situations because I'm ahead of the airplane, but it doesn't stop me from assuming that I'll be in the next NTSB report.

If anyone has any experience or advice on this type of thing, I'd love to hear it. If the scheduling works out, I will probably be spinning tomorrow, so hopefully the wings stay attached.

regards,
ASweetOldMan