PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 7th Mar 2017, 10:19
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Twist & Shout
Can someone list the fatal S92 crashes, where whilst airborne the the machine suffered a failure that left the crew with no options, and all onboard no chance of survival whatsoever?

We are all aware of several tragic examples of the above involving the L2/EC225.

I don't fly S92s or have any vested interest.
I do know what I would do if I suffered a loss of MRGB pressure if the ECL stated "land or ditch immediately."
I also know what I'd do if the main rotor system detached at altitude, unfortunately.
So if you are going to lump the L2 accidents with the 225 ones to try to make your case more convincing, can we lump Blackhawk accidents with the S92 ones?

But anyway I think you are missing the point. We are looking at hundreds of thousands of hours for both fleets, with a minuscule proportion of flights being problematic. Whether a major incident or accident becomes a fatal one is largely down to luck, so to get a handle on the relative safety you need to look at the big picture, and consider the basics of probability theory. If one (hypothetical) type has numerous "near misses" but no fatals (by luck) and the other has unblemished record except for one unlucky fatal accident, which is the safer?

It's akin to saying that you only want to fly a brand new type with zero hours on it, because it hasn't got a history of any fatal accidents.