PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Walt in court...
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2017, 09:30
pulse1

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
When I was in Grammar School during the 50's one of my class mates had a brother who was apparently a pilot in the RAF. I remember this guy because, on my first day at the school, he was balled out in front of the whole school for forging his report. As the years went by we heard how he was flying Sabres in Germany and I once saw him in full uniform riding a bike through the town. At the time I thought that was a bit unusual.

It must have been two years after I left school that I saw a double page spread in the Telegraph describing his court appearance charged with impersonating an officer of the RAF. Apparently he had gone into the RAF for national service and was accepted for pilot training. When he was chopped he put off telling his father who was a retired Wing Commander and started to lie about his life as a pilot. He bought a second hand uniform but was too stupid to remove the medals,one of which was a Croix de Guerre. When asked how such a young airman could have this award he claimed that he received it in the Suez crisis. Apparently it was this which led to his exposure as a Walt.

What I have never understood, having proudly followed my son through military pilot training, is how he kept his ex RAF father away from things like Wings award ceremonies and passing out parades.