PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FOQA erroneous detections
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2017, 08:19
Uplinker

Received 106 Likes on 64 Posts
Makes me glad I'm not an airline pilot!
Obviously I can't see your face to know if you're joking, but none of us should be concerned about FDM (FOQA).

If we are flying the company's aircraft the way we have been trained and asked to do, we need not worry. If something happened that took us outside normal company limits, and we recovered the situation - perhaps by going around and making another approach - then we should not be concerned, particularly if we tell the management about it before they see it in the data.

My boss once phoned me some days after I had gone around and asked me what happened. His tone suggested he was expecting a long convoluted excuse, so when I said, "Oh that's easy to answer; I cocked it up" (I was too fast on approach at the stability check gate). There was a pause and then the mood lightened considerably. He started laughing and said, "Oh, OK, well try not to do it again, bye !".

If pilots are flying outside the limits, then it is only common sense that reasons must be found. There might be training issues that the company has not spotted, and if a trend is noticed they can train against it. If pilots are flying like cowboys, then they need to be reined in.

The key is, most bosses find it uncomfortable to give you a bollocking, and having to do so puts them in a bad mood to start with. So if you cock something up, then 'fess up to the boss and/or write an ASR before they get the call from FDM department and have to pick up the phone to you

Erroneous data needs investigating too, but again, we should not be overly worried about this.