PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 7th Mar 2017, 08:18
Lemain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
That is also addressed in the report:

"Estimated errors associated with reading partially obscured ASI:
0-250 KIAS: 2KIAS
250-275 KIAS: 5 KIAS
275-410 KIAS: 15 KIAS"
DaveReid -- Yup, I did see that, and thank you, but as I said in my earlier post I am wondering about the pitot-static.
1.12.3.4 Pitot-static system
It was not possible to test or check the integrity of the aircraft’s pitot and static
systems due to the extensive structural disruption resulting from the accident,
but the altimeters and ASIs were removed from the cockpit and bench tested.
It's alleged or implied that this highly experienced pilot entered a manoeuvre at the wrong speed and wrong altitude. Both readings are affected by the static. But due to the accident damage they couldn't check the static; only the instruments were tested. The instruments are useless if the static isn't OK. I was an instrumentation and control engineer in an allied field so my comment isn't a wild guess or stab in the dark.

Perhaps one of the fast jet pilots could comment on whether that might have been a problem?

Edit: note that while the quote above from the report refers to pitot-static systems (i.e. plural) elsewhere it states that there is only one pitot-static on this type.

Last edited by Lemain; 7th Mar 2017 at 08:29. Reason: Afterthought, added as "Edit"