PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2017, 04:32
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
Do you really think I would not be familiar with that fantastic and unusual beast? An unmarked aerodrome within VHF coverage at circuit altitude inside the area I know backwards and glare at on the screen everyday? It can't be on a radar screen because it isn't on a chart? It isn't marked on a chart so people can't know where it is???
It therefore follows that the circuit call on Area performs at least one very important safety and money-saving function that might not be obvious to some.

When the pilot who called in the circuit at Butthole fails to return home after dark and search organisations are burning thousands per minute looking for him, Spodman will be able to pinpoint a place and time at which he was apparently alive, because Spodman heard the call and knows the area backwards. Very few other people will have the same knowledge.

And before you point out (correctly) that if the strip were marked and the call made on 126.7 Spodman would not be able to come to the rescue with pinpoint time and place and information, I'd note that that's why there is no perfect solution. Every solution will have downsides. It may be that no one monitoring 126.7 will have any clue where Butthole is.