PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIP index removal
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2017, 02:39
Hamley

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
AIP index removal

I operate commercial aircraft a few times per week. As with any other aviation professional safety is my absolute priority.

I regularly access many different tools to maintain the safety of my operation, to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. Often my first stop is AIP, which also often clears up what I need to know. I go to the index, find the topic I'm looking for, and there is the reference. Easy and efficient safety.

I recently inserted the latest AIP update (02 MAR 2017). Imagine my surprise when I looked in the back to find there is no index! Not only that but they have replaced it with 10 pages of blank paper!

It is now much harder for me to find the information I require. I know this sounds like splitting hairs, but it really is much more difficult to clarify things.

I'll say this clearly. Removing the AIP index has made it more difficult for me to keep my operation safe.

I contacted Airservices with my concern and was told the index was removed because it is a 'time consuming manual process'. Poor dears. Coincidently they have recently engaged a new printing company to produce this material. It doesnt take much imagination to see that the index has been removed as a way to save on publishing costs.

I was also told by Airservices that because it is a manual process, including the index creates more opportunity for error. An extremely thin argument that removing the index was a step forward in safety.

Does anyone else share my concerns? Can anyone suggest someone specific I could contact about this? I have contacted CASA and am awaiting a reply.