PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2017, 01:00
Spodman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's why you sometimes here a controller desperately calling a VFR aircraft to give a traffic advisory.
I once broadcast a traffic advisory to two VHF opposite direction at the same level. Two effects: 1. The VFR at the non-standard level went to a standard level in one screen update 2. I got a hug from the impressively female passenger, (who recognised my voice), at an airshow a month later and met a Mustang pilot.

Point is I fly a lot less that Dick has indicated he does, but he must not be listening properly because I hear useful stuff all the time: I've heard MLJ broadcasts and changed my level. I've heard weather broadcasts that made me investigate further, (on the ipad, bugger talking to ATC). I've visually acquired IFR traffic from intercepting their calls to ATC. I heard a safety alert passed to somebody on a city orbit in Melbourne, looked wildly around for a bit and saw a C150 opposite direction. More mundane, I've updated my QNH when it is passed to other flights. Don't think I needed green lines on a map to achieve any of these things, even Dick's 'cloudy biscuits' way back seemed useful, but the ipad is better.

Near Tocumwal and Deniliquin where the 'area VHF' 118.6, (which is based near Griffith), provides less coverage than the closer and higher Mt. Macedon based 126.8. There are probably many examples of this in areas with which I am less familiar.

It's clear most pilots are not following the current CASA rules. That is they are not using the ATC frequency to give circuit calls at non mapped airports.
Without admitting anything to CASA goons with their stupid 'interpretation' of the rules, I feel a strong disincentive to make ANY broadcasts on the ATC frequency. I would not say I have omitted any required calls, but any time I am out of range of ATC ground sites, (like when landing at most airports), I am very mindful that ATC may be saying something terribly important to another pilot, and I may block the call with, "Traffic Butthole, turning base, blah, blether, coff."

When I hear such reports on the console, (thankfully not on the sectors I now work), I take the time to look at the aerodrome concerned on the screen and say, "Thanks, f*&^wit."

I think the IFR pilot's mindset of setting up an amateur approach zone around any airport they are heading to is the symptom CASA is pandering too. Weird, seeing that such airspace was so unacceptable to them when they harpooned LLAMP

My ideal world? Just make the frikken calls. On the CTAF, or the Multicom.