PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2017, 00:14
FOG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Lee,

97-98 time frame at Pax river. I was doing fleet support (flying in support of) the F. The C with the mods was on the flightline. Supposedly the weight increase was less than 1k Lbs. The PROJECTED numbers for range, on station, etc. were impressive (figures given were in the 20-30 % range). I never saw any projected bring back figures but with the increased thrust and altitude it would have been impressive.

The proposal was to replace USMC A/s then C’s and finally D’s. The USN was adamantly opposed to the project as it was a threat to their Tomcat replacement, the E/F.

As far as what happens on capitol hill on the budgeting side all are approved with considerations of where and to whom the assets go to, i.e. a form of congressional pork barrel where individual congressional members give their buy-in with the caveat to their districts, etc. Once the assets are in place the services play inter-service politics and move the assets.

Take a look at the history of the Harrier with the kluged together APG-65 installation vice installing APG-68.

I have never flown the JSF, only a couple of sim hops. The B/C mix is also a political issue. I am biased in my opinion. I would hope that the USMC receives more Cs and they go to Hornet squadrons due primarily to the cultural differences between the Harrier and Hornet communities.

The fact of the matter is that the senior aviators currently flying X (fill your favorite legacy acft) will not get the most of the JSF. I remember the 90s with pilots wearing t-shirts the said “I don’t give a Phuck how you did it in a Phantom”. Basically aviators brought up in legacy platforms trying to use the Hornet as an improved Phantom.

There is a lot of learning to be done. Integrating the JSF into the CAS/BI fight with UAVs and artillery on the good guy’s side along with ongoing IADS plus electronics is going to be difficult (read expensive). Not doing the work ASAP is going to hurt (meaning far more expensive).

S/F, FOG