PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 5th Mar 2017, 20:25
sika hulmuta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Lemain,

OK for clarification, I have no reason to doubt his competency as he was legally authorised as fit and able to fly the flight. His paperwork was in order. And I do not believe he was anything other than deliberate and professional in approach if you follow his flight profile up to just before the loop, and certainly not stark raving bonkers!.

His profile was highly accurate up until a point just prior to the pull up. Then the pattern changes. Dramatically. And the manoeuvre, as has been pointed out by many others was marginal at least at many points, with several apparent poor decisions made. He was more or less on axis (20 deg ish by my reading?) at the start of the loop then skews off 60 or so degrees. A lot anyway. Why?

The thrust changes are strange and nonsensical to put it politely. Bluntly, fast jet flying is largely about energy control. As an experienced fast jet pilot he would have had that hammered into him from day one, regardless of type. And in a manouvre like this you pump as much energy into the system as you can to start with, then mediate it later.

All I'm saying is there is a lot unexplained in the report. I really don't believe he deliberately did anything wrong or iffy, or is the cowboy others have suggested.... but it ended in disaster and the accident has, and continues to cause a huge amount of pain and hurt.

We need to cognitively understand why, and not be driven by natural emotional desires and jump to conclusions to "hang the guilty bastard" if we are to prevent a similar future accident.