PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did you ever have a "moment" when flying
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2017, 01:28
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
I managed to give myself several "Moments" over the Years.

A few stick out from the rest.

In a Land Far Away during Interesting Times....had the Ears laid back on a Chinook with her Rotor Blades perpendicular to the dirt road....rounding a curve....Clouds right down on top of the Rubber Trees and me doing my thing in the 200 Meter wide swath of cleared ground with the track in the middle.

As I rounded the curve going Westerly....around the curve going Easterly was my Room Mate in his Chinook going as fast as I was.

He pulled...I pushed...and we passed one another with not a lot of clearance...both of us still laid over on our sides.

I keyed the Mike and said...."Crapsakes John....the least you could do is wave as you went by!".

His reply was short and blunt....something about me doing a solo sex act.

Doing the Army IMC Let Down Procedure over a Special Forces Camp with a nice PSP Runway and C-130 Turn Around Pad.....which means we were VFR on Top and had found a hole that had Green at the bottom of it.

Just as I got slowed down and began to roll into a very slow steep spiraling descent inside the Well like shaft of clear air.....not a hundred feet below me slices the left wing, outboard engine, and tip of an external fuel tank of a C-130 through the part of the hole I was about to fall into.

Last one....IMC from the Shetlands headed to the Ninian.

Just happened to look out the windscreen in time to see a British Airways S-61 pass by at the same height going the opposite way. One of the Pilots had on his BA issued Wool Jumper and Necktie....the other guy had on a Mustang Floater Jacket with white shirt and no Necktie.

Neither them or my Co-Pilot were any the wiser!

People wonder why I drink!