PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 4th Mar 2017, 13:19
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't do that {prosecute the pilot} if he didn't wilfully do anything that he knew broke the rules,

So the pilot enters the manouvre at 185ft, his minimun height should have been 500ft, Entry speed 305 kts, should have been 350 kts,

In interview the pilot does not know the speed for the escape manouvre. Not really convinved that he had confused the speeds and safety gates between the JP3/5 and the Hunter, surely he knew what aircraft type he was flying.

This has no personal attention, just general human behaviour considerations.

In commercial flight training we are taught to identify the root cause of an error. It can be a long way before the error becomes apparent. What we emphasise is errors will happen; it is what you do next that is important. "When in a hole, stop digging" is one mantra. Equally, "realise you are in a hole and climb out." However, how did you dig the hole in first place = root cause. Low energy at entry seems to be a root cause, but... it was exacerbated by not following PPPPPP. Not having made Proper Preparation of knowing the escape manoeuvre before entering a possible deadly manoeuvre could also be a root cause, and it occurs earlier in the chain. A Swiss Cheese indeed.
As to point one I assume the entry height and entry speed were wilfully actioned. Why they were wrong is for debate: confusion of type (back to PPPPPP) or lack of attention?
I fly light a/c aerobatics and not being very current nor hot at them I make sure there are lots of margins buffering my performance, and I've read the manufacturer's notes about the what & how. Equally, before attempting any of these I have a QFI polish my stall & spin recovery technique. PPPPPP.
It would be blatantly unfair of CAA to start knee jerk reactions towards other displays. One muppet crashes a Ferrari because they drive it beyond their capabilities doesn't cause a blanket ban on all Ferraris being driven as they were designed. If a crash-causing fault is found, that is something else.
If it is true that the CAA authorisation & oversight might be involved, then I would suggest they look inwards first and sort that out before looking outwards. However, they might want to audit their display authorisation department to see if there is another Shoreham waiting to happen.