PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 4th Mar 2017, 08:35
H Peacock

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Quick question about the focus on his not knowing about the minimum speed for rolling out at the top of the loop... I'm not a pilot, but I've flown as many arcade flight simulators as anybody... I assume that if you arrive at the top of a loop and realise in that moment that if you finish the manoeuvre you are going to end it in a crater, and you further realise that you don't know whether you can roll upright at your current speed without falling out the sky, do you not still have the option of just levelling off and flying away inverted until you can gain some air speed, and wouldn't that be the safe way out if you were a former fighter pilot comfortable with flying inverted all day long?
As you approach the apex of the loop you should be including a bit more altimeter (bit less accelerometer) in your scan. You should therefore have a very good idea about the gate height call before you actually go over the top. You even have some ability to vary the pull in the 1st/2nd quarter to possibly back-off the pull - you'll get a bit more height at the expense of a lower IAS. If you see you'll not achieve the gate parameters then it is rarely the best course of action to spot roll to S&L at the apex; you'll be very slow and so could well depart. Instead, keep the pull on until the nose is now below the horizon - IAS building - unload the g then roll. Provided you do this all comfortably within the 3rd quarter all will be well.

The basics of the 'escape' is common sense. If not you shouldn't be in the cockpit doing LL aeros!