PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 4th Mar 2017, 04:51
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Is not that the whole point of washout?
Yes indeed however there are situations where, despite washout and inboard stall strips etc etc, the initial point of stall is outboard on one wing which can result in an aggressive wing drop/spin entry - all explained here Traffic Pattern Stalls

And in reality - as demonstrated in the video I posted - opposite aileron at the point of stall can actually facilitate a wing drop.

I know I am only referring to basic GA type aircraft, but for the purposes of this conversation, that's what most of us fly. Also, most of us have done a few stalls and spins in our time and at least in my experience, wing drop at the point of stall can be countered through use of opposite rudder, whilst opposite aileron has the reverse (and undesired) effect.
Agreed, effect of aileron depends on the type of aeroplane however. Take a look at http://www.flightlab.net/Flightlab.n...s/10_Spins.pdf with fig 8 showing aileron effects (imagine an aerofoil with a more abrupt stall) however read the text about effect on the roll damping etc.

As you say, most of the aeroplanes we fly were certified to older or very old standards so I like to stick to that script.

(Fairly new certification requirements of FAR 23 etc do require the aileron to be effective the normal sense throughout the stall - saw some video yesterday of flight tests of a new type showing exactly that.)

I know you guys do this for a living, so what is it I'm missing?
If you are missing something then a chat over a glass of red (with jonkster and john tullamarine maybe) is easier than words here (at Avalon yesterday I saw a CASA alcohol test guy on his mission - lucky he didn't see me at any of the boozups).

Last edited by djpil; 4th Mar 2017 at 04:53. Reason: missed a )