PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 4th Mar 2017, 04:18
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Just me but I would avoid saying "pick up the wing" with rudder. I would prefer to say in a stall, control yaw with rudder and keep ailerons neutral.

Use ailerons to return to wings level once the stall is broken.

Pretty sure "out spin" aileron at stall (ie aileron that you would think would stop the wing dropping) will actually help make a nice positive spin entry in Chipmunks if I recall correctly. (Someone with more recent time on them please correct me if this wrong!)

It has been a long time but in a Citabria, I recall talking students through stalling in a climbing left turn with a bit of power with a little too much rudder and holding off bank with aileron. (This simulating at altitude what might happen in real life trying to make a unplanned landing site due weather or maybe rough running engine, turning onto final and needing to stretch the glide and the pilot unconciously is avoiding banking too steeply because they are low to the ground so they skid the final turn around on rudder).

I recall it makes for a quite sharp spin entry and a loss of several hundred feet in a blink. The Citabria normally has a very good manners and a gentle predictable spin entry from a simple unaccelerated stall.

Teaching people it is OK to use ailerons to keep wings level in a stall is something I would feel very wrong about doing. On some aircraft it works fine but it is not a good habit to have people get into.