PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 21:57
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Speaking as someone who is currently studying ATPL groundschool but has flown for many years (700+ hours, ppl(a),(h),mep,ir(r)) for fun it strike me that the main difference being private and professional pilots is attitude. Put simply it strikes me that for the professional pilots the key thing is not to f**k about,
TBH I'm struggling to get your point because of the time of day and the format.

I may be misunderstanding you, apologises if I am, but if you are trying to pigeon hole AH into a pilot "type" and therefore saying he was a particular "sort" of pilot and that in turn led to the accident I would be a bit wary.

AH was a RAF creamie Instructor initially ( so by definition very well regarded in terms of flying skills right from the get go) then a fast Jet pilot with the RAF on what was at the time regarded as the most difficult single seat aircraft in the RAF, frankly you can't F'around or ignore procedures/gates in either job, especially in the Harrier. He then did and passed all the ATPL stuff you are currently studying and since then has several thousand hours as a commercial pilot on the Airbus in both seats, passing all the regular civilian sim and line checks. It just so happened he was also display flying the JP and a piston type., but he certainly wasn't a private pilot who had simply bought himself a jet to display.

I really really don't think AH would suddenly simply lose his professional "don't F**k about" attitude just because he was in a Hunter on a day off....but I do agree there may be issues with display authorisation, recency and exposure to the aircraft type

Last edited by wiggy; 3rd Mar 2017 at 22:13.