PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation to Hawker Hunter T7 G-BXFI 22 August 2015
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 19:35
Madbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not know Andy Hill or have any "inside" information to add. All I can assume is that he had every intention of when he took of at North Weald to complete his display, RTB and land safely and get home to his wife that evening.

He had no intention to screw up in any way or risk the lives of innocent people. This was as tragic accident and that is all there really is to say. Yes it is very sad for the victims but nothing will bring them back and so censoring the hapless pilot, who put himself in serious danger and could himself have easily been killed won't achieve very much. He will still be feeling a strong sense of survivor's guilt and being sent to jail is not going to help him "learn from his mistake".

My own thoughts on how to prevent a recurrence of this tragic accident would concentrate more on the suitability for Shoreham as a venue for any kind of high energy air display. The location of housing, schools and generally high-density habitation in close and un-regulated crowds (outside the jurisdiction of the display organisers) and their proximity to the display axis makes this an unsuitable venue IMHO.

Air display flying can never be considered a zero-risk activity and the CAA and the public need to accept that. For my part, individuals need to be aware that standing or just being under or close to ANY aircraft taking part in a display is potentially dangerous. The fact that this was a former "vintage" military jet is not relevant. The only considerations are whether the aircraft was airworthy, being flown within its limits and properly maintained/operated. Hanging the unfortunate pilot out to "dry" won't do much to prevent a recurrance.......he certainly didn't mean events to turn out the way they did and he has my deepest sympathy; just as the families of the victims have my condolences.....

Last edited by Madbob; 3rd Mar 2017 at 19:36. Reason: correct spelling typo