PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career Changer now beginning to doubt his decision!
Old 2nd Mar 2017, 23:57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stormtrooper1

It all depends why you are thinking of chucking in the towel?

If it's because you are becoming disillusioned with the career ahead of you, then I suspect many here would tend to agree, and wave you on your way. Particularly so if you have a good job to return to, that you enjoy!

OTOH, if you are just finding it tough acquiring one or two of the necessary skills, then that's a completely different kettle of fish. Whilst some of the skills don't always come naturally to your average human bean, just look around at some of the folks making a good living out of this job. Rocket science it ain't!!

If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be this:

I converted to swept wing jet transport from another form of flying. I had been a professional pilot for 15 years before my 'career change'. I felt I was pretty damn good at this flying business. Turned out I was wrong! For 6-9 months of line flying, I felt as though I had been strapped to the front of a runaway train! I found it a real struggle to keep it on the rails!! I found it hugely depressing. I thought I should have been better! Many, many times I thought I should go back to that old job, that I knew so well!

The one thing that enabled me to break through, what I saw as a 'barrier' was to stop beating myself up for my perceived 'inadequacies'! I was my own biggest critic. Nobody expected more of me. Nobody had less sympathy, or understanding. Once I started to smile and accept that I may just need time and exposure to my new environment, things became so much easier!

So try to smile, and enjoy the learning. Anyone in this business for more than a decade will tell you. You never, ever reach the end. Cherish the learning, because it never, ever stops!

Enjoy.

PS: I'm not a million miles from York. Let me know if you fancy a beer!

Cheers