PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2017, 22:03
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The late Chris Braund flew with 3 SQN RAAF in N Africa. Later he joined East-West Airlines in Tamworth NSW. He had his own Mustang he bought from disposals at Tocumwal for 300 quid and flew it away. I had the pleasure and the privilege of getting to know him when we both worked for Maslings of Cootamundra. He was the most whimsical person I have ever known. He was well known for his pronounced stammer. He came up on frequency one morning. An anonymous voice said good morning Chris. He came back with H. h. h. how did you know it's m.m.me?

I will put a few Chris stories here instead of in the nostalgia forum as more people come here and they are worth trotting out, I think. (And Danny once said to me DO NOT HOLD BACK we are a very catholic mob here in our diversity.)

I still have one of his old flight plans in the DCA format circa 1066 . where it says means of cancelling SAR , Chris has crossed out radio, crossed out telephone and written there instead SMOKE SIGNAL

he was taxiing Mascot one day in his Eanie- Weanie (east-West airlines ) DC-3. Tower said hold position. Pass behind the Catalina taxiing on your right. As the Cat lumbered by Chris stuck his head out his side window and with the mic in his hand said quietly to the men in the wheelhouse of the Cat - "D.d.d. did you m.m.make it y.y.y. yourselves?"

but probably the Chris yarn that really broke me up more than any other when first I heard it went like this - Captain Robert Crouch of East West Airlines had a big scone like Telly Savalas and just as hairless. One day Chris was sitting up in his Dak waiting for the pax to board. Capt Crouch walked close by , heading out to his aircraft. He looked up at Chris and mimicked " G . . g. good morning Ch Ch Ch Chris" . Chris's reply was "You sh..shut your ef.eff.effing f.f.f face Crouch. Or I'll p.p.pput an egg b.b.b. board stamp on that b.b.b. big sh sh sh shiny p p p pate of yours."