PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EngO Advice
Thread: EngO Advice
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2017, 18:42
D120A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super advice above; I would offer just a little more:

On the rare occasions anyone says ‘well done’, remember it was nothing to do with you and make sure you have the names of all the people who actually made it happen on the tip of your tongue.

On the much more frequent occasions you get hauled in for the opposite, take all the blame yourself. That’s what officers are for.

I hated hats-on shouting admonitions, of the type you will undoubtedly experience at Cranwell and perhaps afterwards. They didn’t work on me (the shouter invariably didn’t know all the facts) and I saw them de-motivate many people. In contrast, one of my early bosses sat me down, expressed his disappointment with something I had done, made sure I had learned the lessons and offered his help if I needed it to ensure a better outcome next time. So that’s what I subsequently tried to do, not so effectively as him I am sure, but I did my best. I hope you are as lucky in your early bosses and mentors.

Para 2 of #11 has it all. You will come across leaders of all types and of varying effectiveness. Watch and learn, and adopt the things you like that suit your personality and intellect. None of them are under copyright!

Good luck with your career; I would love to lose 50 years and do it all again. Properly this time, of course.