PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did you ever have a "moment" when flying
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2017, 16:12
longer ron

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
A few
The really terrifying couple of 'moments' were over so quickly that of course the effects come later LOL.
Certainly had some worrying moments when out in my glider x-country,but they mostly were not terrifying,more of a ''why am I at 400' in the middle of nowhere on a sunday afternoon - when I could be relaxing at home''.
My first long distance glider flight was 320k out/return for diamond goal,O Sarum/Hapenny Green/O Sarum.
One of our senior instructors said ''youll never make it'' but luckily I had chatted to a very experienced guy from another club - he had said ''never give up''.
On the first leg I had seen the sky turning grey behind me but pushed on to the turn point photo and took as much as I could from the last visible thermal.
Turning south I was actually saved by a large bonfire (cold air) and then some embedded Cu in the overcast ohead Droitwich,I then pedalled cautiously down to the Cotswolds and managed to get enough height to cross safely (the vis was orrible into sun),on popping out into the sunshine - there were only 2 clouds on trackish - I chose the darker one and joined another glider scratching around over Pewsey - as soon as I saw him steeply banked into a turn I joined him to be sociable - took it for every foot I could and ended up on the final glide at VNE to burn off all that height .
6hrs 30min of sheer fun with a low pass over the caravan and a chandelle into the circuit to land with feet like blocks of ice (september)