PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A.S.T. Perth (Scone) 1966
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2017, 10:39
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Offchocks. Quote:
"In the years between when you were there Chris and when I started in 1973, the management must have recognized the problem that the soft ground would cause and constructed two paved runways. They still had one grass runway, but it was not the best."

To resume that discussion, I think the two UAS Chippies in this photo - taken around January 1967 - were doing their engine run-ups prior to take-off on the then Rwy 05 (see aerodrome chart). You will well remember the heavily wooded area that dominated the western flank of the aerodrome - and still does I think.

The next photo was probably taken at dusk on the same day, looking due east with G-ARZX passing over the boundary fence at the south-west corner of the airfield for landing on Rwy 05.

The soft and/or bumpy grass runways were, as previously discussed, particularly hard on the Cessna 150 nose-gear, contributing to several collapses in my time at Scone - usually, admittedly, when landing too fast. But it may have also had a detrimental effect on the landing gear of the much-faster Cessna 310s, which I plan to touch on later.