PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Charter life in Oz
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2017, 08:58
WannaBeBiggles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you say family are you talking wife only, or wife and kids?

If it's just wife, then why not take her with you?

I've made the move with my then partner (now wife) and worked in north QLD and serval places in the NT. She followed me around as she is also a professional and wanted the experience as much as I did. Unfortunately I've been witness to many long distance relationships that just didn't work in GA. Even if you're instructing and are the sole breadwinner you will be in for a challenge! You should pretty much bank on earning sub 100k for the next 10 years and see how that works in your long term plans. While some are (extremely) lucky and only spend a few years in GA, even then you'll find a regional gig is not the sort of coin you might be used to if you were earning a good professional salary.

I'm not trying to sound all "doom and gloom", but these are some realities you need to face.

Make sure both you and your (or your mates) partner are prepared for many years of ****ty wages and slogging it out on GA and/or instructing. Things are good NOW, but they have a tendency to change.

Hopefully things will move quickly for you and you'll progress, but as with anything when flying Plan for the worst, hope for the best!