PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 1st Mar 2017, 21:55
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
The evidence base is the fatal accidents and flights hours - not particularly in the N Sea. You say the 225 has had 2 very unusual failures - which two are you referring to? There has only been one fatal accident. The S92 has had a fatal accident, only "resolved" by ensuring the pilots are fully aware of the aircraft's failure to meet its certification requirements. The other 2 contenders are pretty new on the scene and not yet proven. If your contention is that a brand new helicopter fresh from certification is bound to be safe since it has had zero accidents (and zero hours) then both I and history disagree with you. Has there ever been such a helicopter?

I am not suggesting that the EC225 should return to service until after the NAAIB report is published and any required corrective action taken. What I think is foolish is to say that "I'll never fly a 225 again, regardless of anything" whilst also saying "Oooh look, a shiny new 175 / 189 (etc) - can't wait to spend hours in one of those!"
The whole idea that a brand new type is by definition totally safe, is incredibly naive.