PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trace family of pilot whose log books have just obtained
Old 1st Mar 2017, 10:48
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
I was rather astounded to discover that there is no published record listing all gallantry awards and the citations - you have to work your way through the London Gazette and that normally doesn't publish citations
It would be a rather thick tome HH. To start with, there were over 20,000 awards of the DFC in WW2 alone, and over 4,000 of the AFC. Taking the post war period, there were over 1900 awards of the AFC from 1946-69, so you can imagine the size of the book. Taking into account the work involved in compiling such a book (or books, as it would run to several volumes) and the cost of printing, the cover price would be prohibitive considering the limited market for such a work.

Such a shame for the family to dispose of them like this, one only hopes they kept hold of his medals.
Over the years I have bought and sold hundreds of medals, but very rarely have I managed to buy accompanying logbooks. I remember buying a nice AFC group to a WW2 Mosquito squadron commander from the chap's widow. She didn't mind parting with the medals, but would not sell the logbooks as she felt they were far more personal than the medals, having been filled out by her late husband. She was kind enough to lend me them for a while but I certainly didn't try and persuade her to sell them.