PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career Changer now beginning to doubt his decision!
Old 1st Mar 2017, 08:03
magicmick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Stormtrooper, first of all hearty congratulations on getting that elusive 1st job so quickly.

Secondly good on you for being so honest and open, as someone has already pointed out there are plenty of people who have been qualified for a long time (myself included) who have not been able to get that break and many will doubtless be wailing and gnashing their teeth that someone who got the break ahead of them is now struggling when they obviously would have done much better. I do not count myself among the latter group.

Personally I do not judge a person on how they conduct themselves when life is going well and everything is rosy, I believe that we get a much better idea of a person’s personality when we see how they react when things go wrong. Do they pick themselves up, analyse what went wrong, do something about it and crack on or do they chuck their toys out of the pram and walk off.

You have struggled with some elements of the sim work, have you considered privately renting out some sim time and practicing the element that is causing you such grief? You do not need to hire an expensive full motion sim, maybe a fixed base sim that it a good representation of the type that you fly. For instance Virtual Aerospace can flog you 5 hours in a B737 fixed base sim for £645 and they can tailor the content of the 5 hours to suit you. You cannot buy 5 hours with an instructor in an MEP sim for £645, so that might be an option, if you fly airbus then you might have to search around for a fair priced fixed base sim and the environment would probably be way more relaxed than in your employer’s sim with a TRI or TRE in there with you.

Whatever you choose to do, I genuinely wish you all the best and hope that in a few months you are fully spammed up and enjoying line flying.