PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference in Wet and Dry Screen Height
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2017, 22:20
KayPam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TangoAlphad
Depends how much grass space there is before the first unfrangible object...
If just grass is suggest some pretty reasonable aircraft damage and then most injuries suffered from the actual evacuation but that's just a guess.
Maybe the A/C could get its gear legs stuck in the mud, they could break, leading to serious structural damage or even rupture of the fuselage (which would be catastrophic) ??

Obviously anything built up will be a catastrophy if met at a high speed.

Chris : actually the problem lies in the supplementary distance traveled when you're above v1. Since you're fastest, its when you lose the most runway per unit second (by definition of speed, we call that a Lapalissade in French).
If you were applying full power instead of v1 not during 2 seconds just after v1, but during 2 seconds at 60kt in deceleration, then i'm pretty sure the speed values when exiting the runway would be much more low.
Sure the acceleration would not help neither...

Galaxy flyer : you could abort if you were pretty sure that you can achieve more braking power than the braking power taken into account in the v1 calculation.
I've seen airliners decelerate at +0.8G, that's almost as much as crushing your car brake pedal.
If you had this kind of deceleration (0.8G instead of 0.4) then the few knots would not be a problem.
Obviously what lies beyond the runway should be taken into account as well..

For instance i'm not sure whether full reverse thrust is taken into account ?
I think upslope isn't taken into account as well in the ASD calculation ?
Is it the same for headwind, I think you can only account for 50% of the headwind ?