PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 28th Feb 2017, 16:55
KayPam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello
I have not read all 4 pages of the topic but just the first post.

Applying large amounts of rudder in order to keep wings level is correct procedure when stalling. It is large amount of ailerons that should be banned.

Where do I have this knowledge from ?
I was on several flights with one of the best pilots there is : chief test pilot for an aircraft manufacturer and former chief test pilot instructor.
A/C was SET.
When approaching stall, he wanted to see on which side the particular aircraft would bank. Afterwards, on the ground, some small adjustments were made. But during the test, he would make large inputs, up to full rudder, in order to keep level for as long as possible.

HOWEVER there really is no point other than test flight in doing this !
If a student or inexperienced pilot (in this case meaning someone without extensive aerobatics experience) tries to do it and mixes up the foot side, or puts too much foot, he will end up in a spin.
Whereas he could just have pushed on the stick with a few degrees of bank : who cares ? He will level the wings with the ailerons once the stall is recovered.