PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 28th Feb 2017, 16:11
Virtually There

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to be clear, the actual stalling AoA does not "increase" or "decrease" - the stalling angle of the chord line in relation to the relative airflow remains the same. You are simply changing the camber/chord line by dropping the trailing edge.

Originally Posted by PDR1
But then once the wing-drop has gotten into it's stride the only thing that will do any good is unstalling the wing anyway - using ailerons won't be any worse than using rudder. If fact using the ailerons will recamber the wing such that it will "unstall" in the vicinity of the ailons a lttle soon, where as if the aeroplane has any dihederal the yaw from any anti-rudder input will increase the angle of attack of the dropped wing and delay the "unstalling" (due to the geometry of yaw and dihederal).
This is the bit I'm trying to understand: are you referring to positive aileron? That is, left wing drops, apply left aileron to reduce camber of left wing (and AoA) in the hope it will unstall sooner?

As for dihedral effect, my understanding is when a wing stalls and drops, the aircraft yaws into the dropped wing as a result of induced drag. This causes a brief side-slip in the opposite direction (skid). The higher wing will now be moving into the sideslip - which increases its AoA and causes the lift vector to move further aft, compounding the yaw and causing the aircraft to roll further to the left.

The only way to break the yaw-roll cycle in the incipient stage is to apply opposite rudder to not only bring the aircraft back into balance, but change the relative airflow of the dropped wing to reduce its AoA. This happens when the dropped wing moves forward (and has nothing to do with "increasing the speed of the wing to increase lift", as the wing is already stalled!).

If I am missing something - and I'm not trying to be smart - then I'm very open to re-education.

As an aside, I know from experience it is entirely possible to ride a stall - stick all the way back - wings level for hundreds of feet of lost altitude simply by dancing on the rudder to keep the aircraft in balance. It works. I've done it. No aileron. All rudder.