PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SYD 16R Pavement Failure 25/02
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2017, 22:15
Stuart Midgley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SunnySA, I think this time it's a complete closure because of the height of the equipment that is going to be used. Typical large piling rigs:

Those masts will be just over the perimeter fence, all around where the new big rail underpass is being built in bobsyauncle's map, just barely to the side of the runway line. Also they don't stay still - they crawl around the site under their own power all day, mast at full height, drilling hole after hole to the engineering plan (I worked with them in a previous life). I'm not a pilot (in ground ops/load control) but I'm assuming you'd need such a big displacement to safely clear that sort of obstruction that it might render the runway useless anyway?

Knowing that it's deep sand around there and knowing what the build is I'd guestimate they'll be using 100-150 foot tall rigs. That said, the tallest one I ever worked with was 100 metres (metres!) tall and had the ability to be extended another 50 metres if required. That one was used just down the road in Alexandria on a sandy site as well.

As I remember the RMS documents said that 07 would be completely closed for arrivals and departures and 25 would be closed for arrivals. Only 25 departures will remain available. Which is nice if you're already in Sydney when the stiff westerly's arrive.