PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2017, 18:00
Danny42C

I wonder if anyone with a better memory than mine can help me with a search. At the end of my description here of the 20 Squadron Spitfires being used in '50 and '51 as (mirror-image !) targets for the TA AA gunners at Tonfanau (Towyn), I recall that I wrote a Post (or could it have been a PM ?) about a few moments innocent relaxation we allowed ourselves after a boring afternoon flogging up and down between Barmouth and Aberdovey, and the guns had stopped firing (about 1600).

On the way back to Valley, we diverted to Abersoch on the Lleyn Penindula. In summer, this was a sort of mini-Cowes for the yachting confraternity. While their menfolk were doing their stuff on the ocean wave, their WAGs and daughters topped up their tans on the beaches. We would do (only one) very low-level W-E run along the tideline to "admire the view", as it were. It did not take long for the girls to cotton-on to this, and shortly before 4 pm, the more enterprising ones would co-operate by tracing names and phone numbers in large letters in the wet sand.

These were duly noted on thigh-pads. I believe some contacts were made. But it was a case of "so near and yet so far !". Although we could fly back to Valley in 2-3 minutes, the road journey would take all day (and use a full month's petrol ration). I don't think anything came of it. Then some killjoy found out about it, reported it and it was stopped.

Can I find this on PPRune Search, or Google ? I can not. I haven't dreamt it. So ???

Danny.