PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - same procedure as every year, moving map on tablets 2017
Old 27th Feb 2017, 06:02
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Non of these 'offerings' properly represent the legal CAA chart (if you're flying VFR in the UK). The only solutions available that I'm aware of that meet this requirement without also carrying a paper chart (and at £16 a year, why not?) are either Memory Map or Airbox. I'd be interested to hear different. I asked at the Skydemon stand at the Flyer show if it would be possible to have the CAA chart incorporated and was told an emphatic 'NO'.

I do use Skydemon but I don't like the ability to turn off certain features on the map. For instance, all gliding, parachuting and unlicensed aerodrome sites should be visible at all times, as well as ATZs. There's a great piece of video that is shown at the current GASCo safety evening of a high-wing single piston flying within a metre or so of a winch cable. You can clearly see the runway directly below. Since the pilot of the SEP wasn't traced, it wasn't possible to see what they were using as a navigation tool to avoid this glider site.

When you're flying IFR, are you flying in Class 'A' and 'D' exclusively, or other classes of airspace? Presumably, if the former, then airways charts are what you need. I think that Skydemon is good enough in a SEP for IFR in Class 'G' in the UK (with a CAA chart handy).

TOO