PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2017, 21:51
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THS

Hello. Owain Glyndwr

"It would of course have made recovery easier, and incidentally would have prevented the aircraft from developing a 50 deg angle of attack so the position error would not have gone haywire, the indicated speed would not have dropped below 60 kts and the stall warning would not have been inhibited."

The inhibited "StallStall" cricket created what might be argued as a "bar" to understanding that they were Stalled.

The Full Nose Up can not be defended, IMO, regardless the design consideration.

Did BEA do flight test to determine the extent to which the Taiilpane prevented or seriously inhibited recovery? If not BEA, then AI? The manufacturer has what is called a "duty of care". It is not to be glossed over... As With Concorde, we see a verdict that "apportions" responsibility, including jail?

I say again, the THS study is incomplete, and if the occasion to develop a rational foundation for safety sake was not addressed, more than incomplete, perhaps negligent.

Machinbird,

Quote:
"Originally Posted by Concours77
Fight or Flight is not a spontaneous condition,"

"Now I have personal experience that refutes that statement.
I went from normal alertness while flying formation to an adrenaline heart slam as I was looking to spot and avoid flaming wreckage (that fortunately did not materialize) when that other formation flew through our formation."

"Is your source of information credible? Can you cite it? DSM-IV is not relevant since being crazy enough to fly jets is not a disorder."

My source of information is credible. If you would like a cite, I can do that, otherwise I would ask you to trust that my statement is accurate.

I don't aim to be definitive here. I read, ponder and write quickly. What you read from me is a first draft, mistakes and all. I look to be corrected, that is a plus, an opportunity to learn from some one with more knowledge and experience...

I doubt what you call fight or flight happened spontaneously. The conflict itself is a product of sensation. Again, you cannot experience something you don't sense.

My proof would be my near miss over LA. I was piloting the Skylane, and my passenger grabbed my right arm. "Did you see that"? I said no. He said, "it was a twin, going "that way" he almost hit us!!"

I stayed calm, my immediate response was to check the instruments, reassure us both that we were straight and level, and that we experienced no contact.

My instinct was something to feel good about. I had no fear, no panic, no fight or flight....

I hadn't seen it. If I had, well, I like to think I would have told myself what I told myself in the moment. "We're OK, no contact, we're safe." The Skylane has no potty...but I checked later, any way...