PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2017, 15:25
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are putting words in my mouth again!
I said nothing about the graphs being "disparate". I simply said that without knowing the gains one could not calculate the final deflection.
As a lawyer, you probably do not appreciate that integrating a variable results in a smoother variation than you see in the original, unintegrated, variable. So the smooth recorded THS movement is entirely consistent with the "jerky" elevator commands - which, by the way are not just the stick movements but include the autostabilisation commands, another item for which the gains are not known.

However, it doesn't need a genius to work out that if you maintain back stick for a long period the THS will move steadily towards its maximum nose up deflection. The experts who analysed the DFDR will have known the details of the laws and so could, if they thought it necessary, have calculated the THS response. For all we know they did just that, but since it is clear to (almost) everyone that the system did work as designed they made no comment other than to record the facts.