PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair to recruit 1000 Pilots
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2017, 14:17
Blue06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by midnight cruiser
Well, I have worked at several different airlines in 25 years or so, so I think that would give me the experience base to confirm that Ryanair copilots, and presumably Captains are very good indeed; certainly well above the average in Europe. Good handling, good SOP adherence, and not least, good airmanship.
I think you (and others praising FR pilots skill level) might be somewhat confused... there is a difference between a pilot, and what you seem to applaud, a system operator, which is what FR creates.

I agree, FR pilots might be excellent at operating the systems, with one of the most comprehensive SOPs in Europe. Everything is controlled to the tiniest detail. And with good reason, as they employ hundreds of low-time people with 200hrs. When they finish their simulator licence (MPL), they know how to push the buttons and what speed/config to have at the different phases of flight.
However I have talked to several ex-FR Captains and DY-instructors (DY has hired quite a few FR F/Os the last few years) and they tell a different story. Ask a FR F/O to do a visual approach and see what happens...
Of course this doesn't apply to every FR pilot, but many did not know how to fly a visual, even with autopilot basic modes. And flying manually was almost regarded as something "dangerous" and not to be done unless they really had to.
What kind of "pilots" is that?! Excellent system operators? Pherhaps... Excellent pilots? I beg to differ...

I'm not blaming the pilots themselves, because anyone can do anything with training. This is a management issue, and as a result of hiring pilots with no flying experience.

And in my book, a propensity to hand fly to 20000 feet, or pester to fly raw data does not impress me much. Done at an inappropriate time, it frankly does the opposite.
I totally agree with you, if done at an inappropriate time is may increase the risks, but your "either/or" mindset is unfortunate. A pilot should be proficient at both aspects. Yes, we have to know our SOP, FMS, automation etc, but we must also know how to take over and do things manually, if/when things fail.