PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - same procedure as every year, moving map on tablets 2017
Old 26th Feb 2017, 13:06
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same procedure as every year, moving map on tablets 2017

As every year at the start of what we could call a season, what is the moving map app for tablets of your choice for the year?

I'll summarize my feelings. My focus was on VFR, this year shifting more percentage to IFR.

For VFR: AirNavigationPro only has some die hard fans left, is almost a dead duck, now focussing on drone business. Jeppesen MFDVFR has almost been sleeping to death due to lack of support and slooow progess, although still one of the most interesting concepts. Skydemon is in danger to end in featuritis and there are quite some signals I am looking for a replacement, although it is the dominant solution in the UK, I guess. I looked at some other, and do use Foreflite in the US with extreme joy ... but there is one interesting for me left, the not so new kid on the block Garmin Pilot.

This brings me into VFR+IFR:
I had a look at the first versions of Garmin, but was not impressed, mainly due to the toy like display and UI. Now with the latest release and the incorporation of Jeppesen charts it appears to be the first real solution doing IFR and VFR, something often asked from Boing/Jeppesen and others. I am just starting to evaluate usability for i.e. VFR traffic patterns and IFR incorporation, but so far it looks finally like a well thought solution. What my hope for the year is: seemless integration of VFR and IFR, as switching between Skydemon and JeppFD was not really satisfying last autumn.

Where do you stand in opinion for 2017?