PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA beats Ryan Air
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2017, 11:56
KelvinD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regardless of what the newspaper says, it wasn't a cooking stove that caused the demise of SV163. The fire began in the cargo space and the CAA, among others, came to the conclusion it was due to a tiny hydraulic leak, causing a very spray of hydraulic fluid to spray onto the "S" bend in the centre engine exhaust trunking. I know because I was there and marginally involved in the aftermath. (I am sure I wrote about this elsewhere on here).
Having said that, I was working one night on Navaids at Taif (Saudi Arabia) and was having a fag and a cup of tea with the duty controller when a Saudia B707 went down in the mountains not too far north of us. This was caused by a primus stove starting a fire which got out of hand. The passengers all rushed forward, presumably hoping to get into the flightdeck, upsetting the aircraft C of G and resulting in a nosedive into the ground.
HH: How abut that for a coincidence! Having heard part of a BBC play yesterday about that disaster, I spent a couple of hours reading the court of inquiry report. It seems this was a common occurrence with that company's vessels. Not only was it a British crew that caused the disaster, it was also a British company that pooh poohed the concerns of all of their Captains when they had demanded door open/closed indicators for the bow doors. These ferries had "clam shell" type doors which opened horizontally and there were invisible to the bridge (unlike the traditional vertical raising doors which can be seen from the bridge when open. Add to that the fact that the Captains had no way of knowing the vessel's draught or even the actual number of passengers carried on each trip, sometimes sailing with more than 1,200 passengers when they were licensed for 630! A horrible read!