PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair to recruit 1000 Pilots
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2017, 11:04
172_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The excellent TREs are a key part of that. And in my book, a propensity to hand fly to 20000 feet, or pester to fly raw data does not impress me much. Done at an inappropriate time, it frankly does the opposite. However it is a pity that proper 'Mk1 eyeball' circuits are verboten, as that really does show up a good pair of hands, and saves fuel. (And a bad pair of hands, so I guess that's why)
Both of it, raw data and eye balling a visual, are required skills don't you think? After all the recruitment team thinks so as they test you on a raw data at the interview.

The visual requires finesse, but the raw data requires more mental capacity as you are bouncing around, in and out of clouds, configuring, slowing, changing winds. And regular practice is required to hone those skills. Unfortunately we really only have one chance during line flying, as any company likely takes a dim view at unnecessary go-arounds. At least we could be honest about it and say "we're only as good as the automatics".