PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2017, 09:26
octavian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading JW411's recollections of the ACR7 at RAF Salalah (OOSA) brought back memories of my own tour there in 1975. By then 04/22 was a tarmac runway of 6,000' x 100' although 17/35 remained rolled sand. We had two ACR7 radar heads (no expense spared by the MoD) with the displays in separate locations; this was to give redundancy in case the Adoo managed to take out one with their mortars. The approach was still made to 35 although if conditions permitted a low level visual break to downwind left and landing on 22. This was the norm for the larger/heavier types such as the BAC111 during the Khareef, although I do recall doing a number of talkdowns on a Belfast, which was bringing a much needed refueller in. He eventually made it, and I'm pretty sure the landing was on 22. Must look out the photo I took.

The Strikemasters of 1Sqn SOAF were located in Burmail (45 gallon oil drums filled with sand) revetments around the 04 end adjacent to the threshold and when they called "Jets Scrambling" there was a pair of them, and they were going off 04 regardless. That caused some surprise to the occasional RAF crews on final 22 more used to the Air Support Command rules, and also to the ATCEB whose eyes became like saucers and complexions paled as they saw aircraft approaching and taking off from four directions on two runways. Land and hold short was in use there long before the Americans "invented" it.

Happy days. Probably the best airfield tour I had in the RAF.